Daflon, Diosmin Hesperidin Uses
ACTION AND MECHANISM
Daflon 500 is a venotonic and vasoprotective. It produces venoconstriction, increased vessel resistance and decreased permeability.
In the animal, it exerts a double action on the venous return system:
– at the level of the veins and venules: it increases the parietal tonicity and exerts an antistatic action;
– at the microcirculation level: normalizes capillary permeability and reinforces capillary resistance.
In man, double-blind controlled studies have confirmed venotonic activity: venous tone increases: venous occlusion plethysmography with mercury ring has shown a decrease in venous emptying times.
It has also shown activity on the microcirculation: in the patients that present signs of capillary fragility, the capillary resistance measured by angiosterometry increases.
The pharmacokinetics of diosmin (daflon) is linear.
– Absorption: diosmin is rapidly transformed by intestinal flora and absorbed in its aglycone form (diosmetin). Bioavailability: Approximately 57.9%
– Distribution: extensive (Vd: 62.1 L).
– Metabolism: Diosmetina is rapidly and extensively degraded to phlebotonic acids or their derivatives conjugated with glycine, which are eliminated in the urine. Predominant metabolite: hydroxyphenylpropionic acid (which is mostly eliminated conjugate). Metabolites in smaller quantities: other phenolic acids corresponding to 1-hydroxy-4-methoxybenzoic acid, 3-methoxy-4-hydroxyphenylacetic acid and 3,4-dihydroxybenzoic acid.
– Elimination: relatively fast. In studies with radiolabeled diosmin, 34% of the dose was recovered in urine and faeces after the first 24 h, and approximately 86% was recovered in urine and faeces after the first 48 h.
INDICATIONS OF DAFLON 500
– Short-term relief (2 to 3 months) of edema and symptoms related to chronic [VENOUS INSUFFICIENCY].
POSOLOGY OF DAFLON
– Adults: Usual therapeutic dose: 500 mg / 12 h at noon and at night, with meals.
– Children and adolescents <18 years: it is not recommended.
– Elderly: does not require dose readjustment.
Duration of treatment : 2-3 months maximum.
RULES FOR THE CORRECT ADMINISTRATION OF DAFLON 500
Take with meals (at noon and dinner).
CONTRAINDICATIONS OF DAFLON 500
– Hypersensitivity to diosmin or other flavonoids.
TIPS TO THE PATIENT WHO TAKES DAFLON 500
– It is recommended to take the tablets after lunch and dinner.
– This medicine is intended for the short-term treatment of venous insufficiency, for periods of less than 2-3 months.
IT IS SAFE TO TAKE DAFLON 500 IN PREGNANCY
There is no evidence of any harmful effect on the human species. Experimental studies have not shown any teratogenic effect.
Extreme caution should be exercised in the prescription of pregnant women.
IT IS SAFE TO TAKE DAFLON 500 DURING BREASTFEEDING
It is not known if this drug is excreted with breast milk, however, in a study in animal models, an excretion in minimum breast milk (1%) has been observed. In the absence of conclusive data on the passage to breast milk, its use during lactation is not recommended.
DAFLON 500 IN CHILDREN
There is not enough clinical experience in this age group. Not recommended use.
DAFLON 500 IN ELDERLY
In one study, there were no significant differences in the adverse effects between geriatric patients and younger patients. Accepted use.
ADVERSE REACTIONS OF DAFLON 500
The adverse effects of diosmin are generally infrequent, mild and transient.
Adverse reactions are described according to each frequency interval, being considered very frequent (> 10%), frequent (1-10%), rare (0.1-1%), rare (0.01-0.1%) , very rare (<0.01%) or of unknown frequency (can not be estimated from the available data).
-Digestive: frequent: [NAUSEAS], [VOMITOS], [DISPEPSIA], [DIARRHEA].
-Neurological / psychological: rare: [CEFALEA], malaise, [VERTIGO].
-Allergic / dermatological: rare: [ERUPCIONES EXANTEMATICAS], [PRURITO], [URTICARIA].
No cases of overdose have been reported. The wide therapeutic margin of this specialty determines that the risk of intoxication is practically nil.
There are no reviews yet.